Saturday 7 July 2012

That Single Blade Of Grass

"if you scratch a cynic, you'll find a disappointed idealist."
                                                                                     - they say




“People are no good.”

Isn’t that what the cynics always say? We try to convince ourselves to expect the best from people and in turn, punish them when they don’t deliver. See, that is where idealism steps in. Perhaps we should all stop and realize that cynics aren’t just pessimistic assholes who rain on everyone’s parades. Perhaps they’re just people who have accepted reality for all it’s ugliness.

Now, I’m not saying it’s a good thing. I’m not even saying it’s something that should exist. But, it wouldn’t be called “acceptance” if the subject in question weren’t something as revolting as hypocrisy or mean-spiritedness. Unfortunately, I have learned that this exists in abundance within the so-called educated society of today. It has always existed and will always exist. Period.

I suppose if it didn’t, the movie “Single, White Female” wouldn’t have been made then, would it? I reference that because Jennifer Jason Leigh actually starts out in the beginning of the movie as someone who likes Bridget Fonda and every single thing about her. Long story short, Jennifer wants to kill Bridget in the end. Yikes. I’m not sure if that’s irony, psychosis, or just good ol’ hypocrisy. I’m willing to guess that it’s probably a combination of all.

Maybe I’m just ranting, but I think it’s important that we all realize how we’re responsible for our own selves. We don’t reserve any right whatsoever to use people in order to satisfy our own selfish needs.

We’re an educated society? Perhaps.

But, we definitely need a lesson in the entire concept of friendship. It appears to become more and more superficial and alien to us all as we progress with each passing day... Which is why I'm overjoyed whenever I find a reason to prove all cynics wrong. To find beauty in the chaos of deterioration. To discover that (not trying to be cheesy here, but...) certain friendships are forever. I hadn’t realized how much I’ve immensely missed my high school friends until I actually spent a far too short hour with them last night. It was as if we had never parted ways… as though we were just spending another day in 5 Beta as per usual.

I suppose things like this show us how a single blade of grass can grow through the cracks of a concrete floor.   













No comments:

Post a Comment